Friday, June 17, 2011

Perfect for Summer Salad

I usually don't post recipes on here, but I made the most delicious summer salad yesterday and just had to share it. I had been reading Cooking Light magazine and was inspired to go to HEB and buy a whole bunch of fruits and veggies that I could throw together and eat all at once. What I came up with was incredible.

Ingredients
1 peach
1 cucumber
1 large mango, barely ripe
1 small tomato
1 red onion
cilantro
3 chicken breast filets

Dressing:
Extra virgin olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Mustard
Honey
Lemon juice

Directions

1. Preheat skillet on low-medium heat
2. Season chicken filets (both sides) with olive oil first, then Nature's Seasoning, garlic, celery salt, poultry seasoning, and whatever else you like to use. I usually just grab whatever I feel like using. I really like Adobo for chicken but my parents didn't have any of that.
3. Cook chicken until done and stick in fridge to cool.
4. Cut red onion into long, thin, slices, as thin as possible. Heat EVOO in a different skillet from the one you used for chicken over low heat. Place red onion slices in skillet and cook slowly until carmelized. (I only used half the onion. It just depends on how much you like onions as to how much you use.)
5. While onion is carmelizing, chop cucumber, peach, mango, and tomatoes into small, bite sized pieces and place in bowl. Pull cilantro off stalk and throw into bowl (I probably used about 20 cilantro leaves, just use as you see fit.)
6. Once chicken has cooled, chop into bite sized pieces and mix into bowl with fruit. Add onions once they're finished carmelizing (they should be soft/barely crispy and taste sweet) and stir salad together.

For the dressing, I didn't use measurements, I just did everything to taste. I also only made enough for one serving and put it on my salad as I ate it so that I could store the salad and it wouldn't get soggy. There is a majority of EVOO, only a squirt of mustard, a squirt of honey, a quarter of a lemon, and about a teaspoon of vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is preferred but we were out. This dressing concoction was complements of the lovely Pilar Mckay :)

Here is how mine turned out!

To make it sweeter, you may substitute a strawberry for the tomato and to spice it up you could add or substitute a red bell pepper!


As a side, I had grapes and Parmesan Garlic Triscuit Thin Crisps.

The drink is a Salty Dog:
-Grapefruit juice
-Vodka
-Twist of lime
-Salt on the rim
Perfect pairing!

Very healthy and refreshing meal, perfect for a picnic or just a hot summer evening! Let me know what you think!

1 comment: