Monday, June 20, 2011

Simple Joys

 I was sitting there on my favorite spot on my deck, feet dangling over the side, legs rubbing against the scratchy wood, eyes gazing down the hills that roll down to the railroad tracks, down to the lush green trees that surround the creekbeds and river bottoms and stretch out until they rise up the majestic bluff way off in the distance.

I could taste the red wine on my lips and hear the birds sharing their melodic conversations back and forth through the trees, as if they were the dearest of friends catching one another up on their busy lives. The breeze moved through the trees with a delicate rush, gliding through the leaves before tenderly playing in my hair and across my skin. It was a warm breeze, just warm enough to remind me that it's summer, but not too warm that it was oppressive. This breeze was indeed the opposite of oppressive, it was refreshing. It was rejuvinating. It met me with such a beautiful urgency that I reclined my head back, closed my eyes, and melted in the warm embrace of a breeze that I believe was meant to comfort me.

Just a few minutes prior to basking in this lovely encounter with nature, I had been singing one of my new favorite songs, "40 Dogs" by Bob Schneider, aloud out there on that deck. I stopped singing it only to, out of nowhere, start singing "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands!". There was no subconscious reason for me to start singing this song; I hadn't sung this song in years. I think the only explanation was the true, authentic, overflow of contentment, comfort, and happiness I was feeling in that moment. A huge smile broke across my face and I just gave in, sitting on that deck, swaying to my own voice, singing a song originally meant to bring joy to children. I think there is a lot to be said for having a child-like joy. Children find joy in the simple things and that is exactly what I did this evening on that deck...I found joy in the simplicity of an evening outside with the intricacies of God's creation.

1 comment: